Monday, October 28, 2013

Marriage Equality and Divorce

I came across an interesting article written by Dese'Rae L. Stage, who was among the first legally married lesbians in New York State. The title of her article explains her unique position: "I Fought For the Right to Get Married--And Now I'm Divorced." Stage is very honest about how she coped with her personal struggles throughout the divorce process, among them a sense of failure for ending such a publicly significant marriage.

Another fascinating aspect of Stage's article was that it was written for Cosmo, a magazine that has had many problems with feminist and inclusivity issues. In her blog post about the writing process for this piece, Slade addresses criticisms she received for this decision: "I’ve been asked a few times why I would choose to write for such an anti-feminist publication. I can’t say that I have an opinion on the magazine’s ideological leanings, but to be honest, the answer is the paycheck. When I was younger, I desperately wanted to be a writer. Now, I’m writing and getting paid for it. On the other hand, nothing I wrote in that essay is anti-feminist, and the piece has reached a demographic I never could have or would have tried to reach. I’m grateful for that. As a spokesperson for equal rights to marriage (and divorce), I think it’s important to get the word out to as many people as possible." 

For the blog post and a link to the article, visit: http://deseraestage.com/blog/2013/09/10/i-wrote-an-essay-about-my-divorce-for-cosmo-yes-that-cosmo/

No comments:

Post a Comment